You’re not alone if you are mistaking the “Green Tick” next to your business name on WhatsApp with the verification process required by Facebook for the approval of WhatsApp Business API! We're here to help you understand the difference. We're also going to walk you through the steps you need to take to get this badge for your business on WhatsApp!
First things first - it is absolutely necessary for your business to complete the verification process on Facebook Business Manager to set up your WhatsApp Business API account.
However, just getting your business verified does not mean your business gets a green tick next to its name on WhatsApp. WhatsApp is always looking for ways to enhance the sense of reliability for customers that are communicating with businesses on WhatsApp. This verified badge allows customers to know that they are communicating with the verified, official account of a business.
If you’re still confused, this is the green tick/verified badge we’re talking about:
WhatsApp is very particular about which business gets this green tick, and it is typically granted to highly reputed brands.
Another thing that you should notice is the disclaimer that WhatsApp provides - mentioning that this is the “Official Business Account” of the business. This brings us to the next section - the different types of business accounts!
There are essentially 2 types of WhatsApp Business accounts:
1. Official Business Account
• If you receive a message from an Official Business Account, it means that WhatsApp has verified that an authentic, notable brand owns this account
• As a user, you will be able to see the name of this business even if you haven’t saved their number in your address book
• Businesses cannot pay to get an official business account on WhatsApp
• Only OBA (Official Business Accounts) will have the “green tick” or “verified badge” next to its business name on WhatsApp
2. Business Account
• Any business that uses the WhatsApp Business App is a business account
• If a business opts to integrate with WhatsApp Business API, it needs to complete the Facebook Business Verification process in order to validate its authenticity
Now coming to the important part - what makes a business eligible for a green tick?
Following is the eligibility criteria to apply for the WhatsApp Green Tick:
• You must have your business integrated with WhatsApp Business API - to do this, you can reach out to solution providers like interakt
• The facebook business verification should be completed on your FB Business Manager
• It is highly recommended that your business is in a Tier 2 or above messaging level
• WhatsApp typically allows highly reputed and notable brands to get the verified badge
Here’s something that you need to keep in mind - if your business is dealing with any of the following products/services, you are not eligible to integrate your business with WhatsApp Business API. That’s right, this means you would not be allowed to even apply for the Green Tick on WhatsApp.
• Tobacco Items
• Gambling Businesses
• Alcohol Brands
• Weapons & Ammunition Businesses
• Live Animals
• Adult Product/Services
• Medical & Healthcare Products
• Dating Services
In order to apply for the green tick, you need to first have your business integrated with WhatsApp Business API. Post that, your API provider will help you with the application for a green tick.
If you choose to get on board with interakt - we will simplify this process for you! Once you have supported 50+ users on WhatsApp via interakt, we apply for the green tick on your behalf for free. That being said, interakt cannot influence WhatsApp’s decision on approving the green tick application for your business. In this case, WhatsApp’s decision is final.
We’ll let you in on some inside scoop - from what we’ve seen, multiple factors such as brand credibility, your following on social media and your domain ranking can influence your green tick approval.
To apply for the green tick on WhatsApp, you can simply connect with our support team and send in a request. Once your request for the green tick is approved by WhatsApp, your number will automatically have a green tick displayed next to your business name when you communicate with your customers.
The decision for your Green Tick application normally takes about 1-2 business days. In rare cases, it may take up to a week.
We’re here to get you up to speed and worry not, even if your application for the green tick is rejected - it does not impact your ability to use interakt or WhatsApp business API. Wait no more- sign up on interakt and give your business the credibility it deserves on WhatsApp!